Monday, April 20, 2009

The Great Ball Transplant

In about three hours, we have our final week of league bowling. Bernaski has been a regular Monday night occupation for the last 32 weeks. It has been an interesting season. As we end this season and begin thinking about the next, we are on the verge of another great transition. Three of us are retooling, replacing our current balls with new ones. This puts us in the unique position of being able to directly assess the effect of a new bowling ball, but there's more.

Here is how I see our evolution. We each began using house balls. Then, we got our own balls. Three of us have them custom drilled. JD got a hand-me-down. Then, we started throwing spin. First Joe, then John, and finally me. Geoff is still throwing a straighty. With each step, our games have seemed to improve slowly and steadily. I must admit, my average took a serious hit in year 2 due to injury and the new ball, but I recovered this year.


Anyway, here's where it gets interesting. All four us are currently bowling with what are essentially custom house balls. The Green Lady might be one notch above house, but it is basically a plastic house ball with a pancake core. Now, three of us are upgrading in a serious way.

Joe: His current ball is Qubica 14 lbs house ball that used to be housed at his uncle's bowling alley. He has on hand a 15 lbs Hammer Raw Acid. He has been waiting for over a week for it to be drilled.

John: Currently he rolls a Brunswich Axis 14 lbs'er. He claims he's seen one in the rack at the lanes. He is replacing the blue beauty with 15 lbs of Brunswick Twisted Fury.

Todd: I am having an affair with the Green Lady, a 13 lbs Columbia 300 Scout Reactive. In the mail is a 14 lbs Brunswick Smash Zone.

In every case, the old ball has little break, and the new ball has a ton. So, there should be a noticeable difference in score. We all expect a lot more strikes. We'll see if that actually happens. Does equipment really matter? I want the answer to be yes, but we will find out soon.

So will our new balls help us perform better? I can't speak for Joe and John, but my balls are fine. It's not like I need a new ball or anything. I just thought it would be cool to have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.