Thursday, December 3, 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner

We were waiting with bated breath for the Bowling Proprietors Association of America to name their keynote speaker for their 2010 convention, but when the announcement was made, we were left speechless. Palin? Are you serious? Sarah Palin? Interesting choice. Let's see why it was made. According to the bad pun filled press release by the BPAA:

"Sarah Palin is a great friend to the bowling industry and we're so proud and honored to welcome her as our keynote speaker at International Bowl Expo 2010. Regardless of your political affiliation, Ms. Palin is a force in American politics and culture. Her presence underscores the impact and importance of bowling, one of our country's leading national pastimes and a growing $10 billion industry."

Hmmm. Interesting. And why exactly is she "a great friend to the bowling industry?" And why did she agree to this gig? My guess is that you are shelling out somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 grand, and for what? No doubt, Sarah will be filled with brilliant insights about enhancing the profitability of bowling alleys.

In truth, I'm impressed that you have the funds to hire her, but come on, this is just a stupid publicity stunt. I can't wait to see her speech, though. Back in the fall of 08, Sarah was definitely a popular gal at Laramie Lanes. From the comments I heard uttered, she appeals more to the loins of bowlers than to their minds. Maybe that impacted your decision, too.

So, have fun at that convention in Vegas next June. I hope you get what you paid for. You betcha, I do.

7 comments:

  1. A strange move indeed. I'm hoping this isn't a representation of the political affiliation of the typical bowler. I may have to start a new blog for the Democrat, Independent, and Libertarian Duckpinners Organization.

    Best. Acronym. EVER!

    I'll do some research on that domain name....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I need to fine-tune my concentration skills:

    http://ginacobb.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c2c6053ef010536a97d67970b-400wi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so strange, they are trading on her star power to get some publicity. I expect that her engagement fee is probably much less for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably correct, but I can't imagine her doing it for less than 20k. If it is for publicity, will the BPAA really make their money back in new memberships or increased traffic at the lanes? I doubt it. It just seems hokey to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EB, Where did you find that???!!!??? Glow bowl with the VP debate on CNN! Crazy. I did quite a bit of google image searching for Palin and bowling and found basically nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was serendipity, actually. I came across that image while I was looking for something else...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.