Sunday, December 13, 2009

USBC: Bowling's credibility is back!

This morning I was awakened by a knock at the door. When I opened it, there stood three men in black... bowling shoes. They invited themselves in and poured themselves cups of coffee. They all carried bowling bags, which they kept close to their shins. The big one spoke, "Movement2, we don't like what you've been saying about the USBC."

"Like what?" I said.

The little one chimed in, "We thought that bowling bloggers were kids in pajamas sitting in the basement of their parents' homes."

"Well, that's not too far from the truth in my case, and isn't that a Palin quote?" I replied.

The medium guy said, "Stop critiquing our website and publications. You know that thing you wrote about bowling's credibility being lost? And yes, we often quote the Queen Pin."

"Yes, I remember, but it was YOU that said it first. I was just reiterating what YOU said".

The big one continued, "Well, we've changed it. It was just a thoughtless editorial oversight. Now, stop causing trouble, or we will cancel your subscription to US Bowler."

"Is that some kind of threat? I can live without it. All I learned from the last issue is that Manny Ramirez doesn't take bowling seriously (just like baseball), and that some bowlers proudly call themselves 'strokers'," I retorted.

"How about a lifetime USBC ban?" the little one snapped back.

"Go for it. I'll just go elsewhere. The voice of the people cannot be silenced!"

They grabbed their bowling bags and left as quickly as they had arrived. After they drove away in their unmarked black Pontiac Grand Prix, I checked the USBC website, and here is what I found:

That's not what it used to say:

The moral of the story is that even kids in their pajamas can affect change, especially if it is change that doesn't mean a whole lot.

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.