Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Volcano

A volcano spends most of its life doing nothing. It looks like any old mountain. But deep inside of its bowels, the pressure builds within its magma chamber. The overlying rock acts as a shield for the gases inside. They cannot escape. A threshold of pressure must be crossed, but when it does, a massive explosion results, and ash is sent high into the atmosphere.

I think this is more or less what happened at Laramie Lanes last night. For six weeks, we have been dormant. Over that time, we have had five consecutive losing nights with a 3-17 record plus a last place finish in the City Championships. The pressure has been building, and it had to be released. That happened in Game 1.

Game 1 has historically been our worst game, but last night, it was our all time best with a scratch pin total of 756 or an average of 189 pins per bowler. It was an odd game by all accounts. Laughlin and Gingy each had four in a row in frames 3 through 6 to finish with a pair of 183's. Daniele had zero strikes, but went 8 for 10 on spares. He picked up his first six including three splits. I set a team high game record with a 233. This was garnered with eight strikes, but I missed two of three chances for spares in that game.

The 756 in Game 1 broke a long standing team record. Our previous high game was more than a year old, set on January 5, 2009 when Becker was in town subbing for the Canadian. The old record was a 749. The graph below shows the progression of the record through time. The new record may be around for a while, but I've got a feeling that sometime within the next year or two we might get to 800.

After the explosion, we reverted to our normal ways. We followed a massive Game 1 with a dud. We finished with just about 200 pins fewer in Game 2, averaging 142. We have seen this happen before. We build a nice lead in Game 1 only to watch it evaporate over the next two games. But apparently the volcano was not finished. It still had one more belch to emit. In Game 3, we came back with a 167 average or 669 scratch, another big game for us. We finished with three wins and a loss bringing our 2nd half record to 12-24. It felt good to win.

Here are a few statistical notes. John had a 500 series and converted 7 of 9 single pin chances. I missed a 600 series by eight pins because I could not pick up spares (5 for 13). Gingy had another massive night for a Rookie averaging 152.3 and set a new personal high for strikes with 11. Daniele's strike ball was not working all night, but he led the team in pickup%, getting 63% of his chances. In fact, he tied the team record for most spares in a series with 17.

On a side note, we faced Team 6, or the team formerly known as Overrated. They also bowled their asses off. In fact, they too had their best performance in weeks. On most nights, they would have gone at least 3-1 or 4-0. I felt bad for those guys because I could very much relate. They were just unlucky to run into us on the week when the volcano finally popped.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats BMers! The game sure does feel easy when the team is clicking on all cylinders. How did you open your 233 game? Looking forward to an update to the Team High Game box score at the bottom of this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MD. I opened with a turkey. Then, I left a 7 pin untouched. I followed that with X 9/ X X X X. It was just a weird flurry of strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted it at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What are the odds of you AND me having a good night in the same week?

    Way to go, brother! See? You're not dead yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to break from tradition and say 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Todd! Is that 233 your highest ever score to-date?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I had a 226 in the first week of the season. 233 is a new personal high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Поздравляю! (Mazel tov!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After a game like that my mind starts to set the expectations a bit higher. I knew I could do it, why can't I do this all the time? I should be averaging 200 instead of 150...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have fallen into that trap before. I'm trying to avoid it again. That game felt like a fluke. I was hitting the pocket all night, and the pins kept falling. I know I can't repeat it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rolled a PB in practice yesterday and made the mistake of telling my wife about it. Now she expects me to roll that kind of game this and every Friday. Next time I'm keeping it to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A PB? Personal best? Congrats. What was it? They seem to become increasingly rare as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, I opened with 3 in a row , open frame, 5 in a row, spare, open for a 244. This coincides with a heavy oil ball purchase last week. Even my misses were hitting the pocket. Of course I promptly followed that effort with a 165 where I couldn't hit a spare to save my life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.