Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bondage and Bowling, or Tit for Split Reciprocity?


A few days ago, when I wrote the most inappropriate post ever, I had various inspirations, although I am not sure what exactly was my intent. Perhaps, as I commented to one commenter, it was a warning shot. As much as I know it would be unwise to speak of the unspeakables, after a recent news event, I decided it was time to write about bowling, sex, and politics. As Kafka says, if you want to maximize your audience, it would serve you well not to voice opinions on matters of controversy or importance, but as I have said, this is my greatest flaw. So, off we go...

Last week, Michael Steele and the Republican National Committee were in the news for using party funds to reimburse members for $2,000 spent at a bondage-themed topless nightclub in Los Angeles. What people do for fun and how they spend their money is absolutely none of my business, so I am not going to pass judgment whatsoever on GOP party workers who enjoy being entertained by half naked lesbians in black leather. After all, I like bowling by myself in the middle of the day. Who am I to judge? The humor in the story, however, is that those individuals who patronized said club felt that a reimbursement was in order. This was a "business expense" that should be covered by donors to the Republican Party.

I feel sorry for anyone who does the bookkeeping for a large organization. I am sure there are fraudulent reimbursement schemes that happen all the time, and I do not think this behavior is indicative of Republicans as a whole. Still, when mud is slung by one side, you know that there will be return fire of mud.

How did the Republicans respond? Well according to CBS news, "The RNC has responded to the latest reports by distributing a list of Democratic National Committee expenditures, such as paying one catering company at least $297,708 over the past 15 months and spending at least $13,316 at the Washington, D.C. Lucky Strike bowling alley in January of 2009." As Fox News reports, The DNC rented out the lanes for a party for Howard Dean when he vacated his position as party chairman.

Now, as humorous as this "tit for tat" or "tits for splits" finger pointing is, I find it slightly amusing that the leasing of a bowling alley for a party is viewed somehow as equivalent to going to homoerotic bondage nightclubs. Like I said, I like to bowl by myself in the middle of the day. Hope I don't go blind.

3 comments:

  1. Watching either Fox or MSNBC is a blast; the reduction of American politics to a coin flip makes for some entertaining "news", where this sort of playground mudslinging is not only acceptable, but encouraged. If you find an unbiased news source, I'd appreciate a point in their direction.

    Until then; I'll split my time between the Westboro Baptist Church and the Church of Euthanasia websites....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google those at your own risk (NSFW)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Westboro baptist: that guy is insane.
    Euthanasia: new one to me but strangely intriguing

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.