Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bowling like the Yankees

When we walked into the Lanes of Laramie last night, Game 3 of the ALCS was on the tube. Normally, I wouldn't have given this much thought. After all, our beloved Rockies did not make the playoffs this year, and I normally don't pay much attention to what's going on in the American league.

But upon seeing the Rangers battle baseball's royalty, my thoughts immediately drifted to my bowling writing brother in Texas, EB Holschuh. Despite our cleanup man being a longtime Yankee fan, I had to pull for the Rangers. Why in the hell would I root for the best team money can buy? Plus, due to my opening week actions, I feel personally responsible for the Rangers having one hell of a season.

We faced the Mighty Hucks. These guys have been killing us of late. I think the last time we had a winning night against them was last December. Last night was no different. In Game 1, both teams bowled like crap, but we came out on the bottom. In Game 2, we fought our way to a hard earned victory. As Game 2 turned to 3, the Rangers began to pull away from the Yanks. At this point, it was clear which baseball team we had decided to ape.

As Game 4 of the ALCS is coming to an end, I want to congratulate the Rangers on their 3-1 series lead. You're welcome. As for the Mighty Hucks, I would like to congratulate them on their 3-1 series victory. You're welcome.

There's always next week.

9 comments:

  1. This sure is a crazy game. One night you're hot and the next, you're not. How did you fare personally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 462 series... not very good. But I had five splits plus two more things that pretty much looked like splits but included the head pin. So I can't really complain. How was Mongolia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in UB. I leave for Beijing in a couple of days. I hope you're not coming here for vacation because it doesn't really qualify as one of the world's most desirable locations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Спасибо за упоминание в посте, братик!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Пожалуйста, EB.

    MD, No... I would go there for work and then head north near the border with Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I'm reading this, the same Rangers that beat up on the Yankees in game 4 got thumped in game 5. Kind of like our bowling - you never know which team will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just vexed by this. Why/how does this happen? And how does a human beat a precisely calibrated machine that can throw strike after strike? If I could do it all over again, I'd get a PhD in Streakology (with an emphasis in Slumpology).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you don't believe in chance. If you did, you would not get so hot and bothered. Take Josh Hamilton. He bats .359. Every time he steps up to the plate, then, there is about a 36% chance he's going to get a hit. Still, it is possible that he will go 0-5 some nights. the chance is around 11%. This sucks for the Rangers, but it is expected to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I don't believe in chance-- you're right; however, I DO believe in probability... Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.